.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

"First Light" for Don

After days of pouring rain (which I cannot complain about, as we so desperately needed it), the cloud finally broke for a short while tonight. So I finally got out Don, the 8" scope (named after the family friend we bought it from).

I was enchanted. I didn't have much time or scope for object choice. A quick squizz at the edge of the nearly full Moon (beautiful crisp detail, but my eyes nearly melted from the brightness). Then on to Jupiter. The planet was big and bright and it was easy to see detail in the bands. I tried out the Barlow, but the results were disappointing (as they have been for every Barlow I have tried). And the clock drive. It was a joy not to have to fiddle with the controls all the time as I took in Jupiter's bands. I can't wait for it to get dark and try it on omega centauri.

On a night when I have time to properly cool the scope down, I'll break out the webcam and see what I can see.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?